The Centre started as a Boys Club in 1946 by Frank and Nancy Birkett who first met in Sunnyhill School; then Eardley School, then in St James Mission Hall, Eardley Road, till in 1961 the first part of the present Centre was built. When Frank and his wife left Streatham, the Club kept going for many years by Fred Crump and Laurie Hills two veterans of the first world war. While the Club was small by today’s standard, it had a lively group of young people keen on football, gymnastics, table tennis and other sports. Some were old members who became leaders and did great work in other places. Wall Crump, Ken Cooper, David White, Bill Marsh, John East, Brian Moughtin, Jim Williams, Clifford Lynn, David Robinson, Albert Robinson, Skipper Dalton, Don Attenborough, Mick Fuller, are names that old friends will remember.
Streatham Youth and Community Trust | Company Number 07875930 | Charity Number 1148221